Preparing for Your Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
You have been scheduled for gastrointestinal endoscopy (also called EGD, esophagogastroduodenoscopy, or pan endoscopy). You will be provided more information about this procedure, have your questions answered, and then be asked to provide your written consent to undergo the endoscopy.
In addition to the advice given by the Office of Dr. Nemoto, the following steps should be taken before commencing your procedure.
- Do not drink or eat anything after midnight before the procedure.
- Have someone else drive you because you will be sedated. Please arrive promptly.
- Be certain that you have discussed whether or not to take any prescription or over-the-counter medications you may be presently taking.
- Do not dress elegantly. This way, we won't have any problems with stains from gargle or sprays. Leave earrings and other jewelry at home.
- Bring your clinic card, courtesy card, insurance card or Medicaid card with you. If you do not have insurance or other financial coverage, you will need to make financial arrangements ahead of time in the Business Office of the hospital before the day of your exam.
- If you have any questions, call our office.
After The Procedure
- Expect a mild sore throat lasting one or two days. You can use lozenges for relief.
- Do not eat or drink for an hour (your throat will be numb and we don't want anything to go down the wrong "pipe").
- Do not drive for 24 hours after the procedure.